Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm going to trap early this year!

Hello to all my falconry enthusiasts.  Faloners typically do not trap until between October and December; birds trapped during this time of the year are referred to as 'passage' birds.  Most states have regulations that allow a falconer to trap a young bird prior to October though, and a raptor trapped prior to October would typically be referred to as a 'brancher' or a 'fledgling'. 

I have decided to trap an early raptor this year and I am targeting late July or August.  My hopes are to trap a large hen redtail (first year bird of course) and take advantage of the early trapping to assure a slightly calmer bird.  There are pros and cons to this early trapping strategy.  Pros are a bird that does not have pre-defined limits of its hunting ability in its mind already, possibly a calmer (slightly less wild) bird, and possibly a slightly easier to train bird.  None of these factors are guaranteed but they are normally the hallmarks of a young raptor.

The cons include the danger of having a raptor imprint on you, a bird who has not had two or three months to hunt on its own, meaning it is very inexperienced.  This would lead to a slower first season of hawking, as you are literally present as the bird learns to hunt.  So it is a trade off and I have never taken a young redtail - all of mine were taken in October / November as passage birds.  Now I am beginning construction of my mews since I'm in a new property.  Exciting!!!    :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment